Are you a budding poet?
If you are between the ages of 4 and 11, you can enter our poetry competition! Winners and runners up will win a book token and every entrant will receive a small prize.
All you have to do is write a poem that fits on a piece of paper no larger than portrait A5. It must be hand written and we encourage illustrations. Your poem must also be at least two verses long and can be on any subject you like!
The competition launches on October 5th to mark National Poetry Day and the closing date for entries is Saturday November 25th (Community Centre Christmas Fayre).
Please read the terms and conditions:
Terms and Conditions – Wootton CML Poetry Competition October 2023
- All poems must be the sole work of the person entering
- Poems can be on any subject
- Poems should be at least two verses
- Poems must be hand-written by the author on one side only of a sheet of paper no bigger than A5 (5.8"x 8.3" or 148mm x 210mm. Entries must be portrait not landscape)
- Illustrations are accepted!
- Typed entries will not be accepted
- There are 2 categories:
Category 1: Reception and KS1 (reception age – Year 2 (7 and under ))
Category 2: KS2 (Year 3 – Year 6 (8 - 11))
- You may submit as many poems as you like but all must adhere to the above criteria
- Each entry must include the name, age and entrance category of the author.
- To enter, bring your poems to the library and hand to the staff member at the desk. Alternatively, we will accept entries in digital format (scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org) but they must still be hand-written
- The competition will launch on October 5th 2023 (National Poetry Day) and will close on Saturday November 25th (Wootton Community Centre Christmas Fayre)
- Entries submitted after the closing date will not be accepted
- By entering this competition, you grant permission to display and publish the entry on our website (Woottonparishcouncil.gov.uk) and in Wootton Community Library
- No one connected with the judging panel may enter the competition
The following prizes are on offer to the winners of each category:
Category 1 – book token for winner and runner up
Category 2 – book token for winner and runner up
All poems will be judged by a panel decided upon by the Library Manager. The judges' decisions will be final.
Entrants must be made aware that, whilst the author who submits entries will retain full rights to any poem submitted, they will also be granting permission for the poem to be used on the Parish Council website and any other published materials (such as, but not limited to: Wootton Mag). Wootton Community Library will credit (name) the owner of the poem.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
Insofar as is permitted by law, Wootton Parish Council will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate competition entrants or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize / competition except where it is caused by the negligence of Wootton Parish Council. Your statutory rights are not affected.
Every half term we run fun events for primary aged children free of charge. Usually this comprises of a craft and some games. There is no need to book, you just pop along anytime between the allocated times to take part.
This October half term we will be making spiders, hedgehogs, ghosts and monsters. (but nothing too scary ;-)
The Summer Reading Challenge ended on September 9th.
** Well done to everyone who completed the challenge! We had a total of 357 children start and 244 finishers!*
We are excited to announce that we are now able to open late one evening a week! From April 19th we will be open until 6pm on Wednesdays.
We will look forward to seeing you after school and work!
*Congratulations to our story competition winners! *
8 and under
- Winner : Not Enough Space by Amelia Raines
- Runner up : The Story of Neil Armstrong by Ethan Ingram
8 and over
- Winner : Up in the Stars by Laura-Jane Mackerras
- Runner up : Into the Unknown Universe by Oliver Haines
We had a wonderful time at our Easter Fun Day! Click on the image to watch a highlights reel on Instagram.
Look out for other great activities coming to the library soon!