Flowers at Simpson Manor on the 75th Anniversary of VE Day
Parish Councillor Sohrab Ghavami and Parish Council Chairman Cllr Noel Lodge lay flowers at Simpson Manor on the 75th Anniversary of VE Day.
The commemorative stones are on the entrance to Simpson Manor and were placed there when the development was built in the 1990's.
The barracks were established in 1939, at the start of the Second World War, under the name of Quebec Barracks as the depot for the Northamptonshire Regiment whose previous depot at Gibraltar Barracks was becoming inadequate. The Northamptonshire Regiment remained at the barracks until it merged with the Royal Lincolnshire Regiment to form the 2nd East Anglian Regiment (Duchess of Gloucester's Own Royal Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire) in 1960. The Royal Pioneer Corps moved to the barracks in 1960, at which time the barracks were renamed Simpson Barracks after General Sir Frank Simpson who served as colonel commandant of the Royal Pioneer Corps. The Corps remained there until they were amalgamated with other units to form the Royal Logistic Corps and the barracks closed in 1993.
Posted: Tue, 12 May 2020 12:38 by Clerk